You acknowledged your responsibility for them by signing a bail bond agreement. You will not receive a refund if they fail to appear in court; instead, the bail agent or court will receive the money you paid on their behalf.
You Paid The Entire Bond Amount To The Court: If they flee the state or go into hiding before the court date, for instance, you should assume some responsibility for tracking them down on your own. Otherwise, you risk losing the bond money you put up.
You Paid A Bondsman To Bail Them Out: If they flee the state or go into hiding before the court date, for instance, the bondsman will send a bounty hunter after them. Unlike police, bounty hunters can cross state lines, search properties occasionally without a warrant, carry a gun, and use excessive force as needed to bring suspects back into custody.
Finding people has often been successful for bounty hunters. And the bail bonds firm will pursue them, as well as their friends, family, and employers… …and yours. to recover the money they lost.
Checklist for bailing out family and friends
- Have they previously missed court?
- Do they fear going to court enough to miss it?
- Do they understand the repercussions of skipping their court date?
- Why are they unable to afford to save themselves?
- Why do people choose to come to you rather than someone else?
- Do you truly believe that there is a 100% likelihood that they will appear in court and not flee?